Monday, March 24, 2008

I'll Come to You

The last few weeks have been an absolute dogfight. The Puritan endeavor of waking up at zero in the morning to record local radio has yielded some fruits, but nothing ripe. I'm still plagued by the same denizens of my bitter jingle winter: evasive phone bureaucracy ("I'll have him call you as soon as he gets out of his meeting..."), non-caller-backers-when-they-say-they-willers, and legions of advertisers who insist their half-witted talk-over-insipid-canned-music ads are serving their needs just fine, thank you very much.

Since people always seem to drop off the face of planet after an optimistic phone conversation or two, I'm now shooting for face-to-face meetings whenever possible. If there's a lull in the conversation during one of my cold calls, I immediately suggest we get together in person to discuss the prospect further. This may wreak havoc on my vital resources of gas and time, but I figure I stand a better chance of wooing their better judgment when I'm standing before them, jingle samples in hand. Who wouldn't be swayed by a sprightly and well-groomed young man delivering his infallible schtick?

I even make it easy for them to set up a meeting. 2:15 on Thursday the 47th? Sure, it just so happens I'll be passing through Nothingtown on exactly that date at exactly that time! Never mind if that means I'll have to book it from my 8AM in Blackholesburg. Shall we do lunch?

No comments: