Tuesday, March 4, 2008

#4



Today my idol, Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre, announced his retirement after 17 years of spectacular play in the National Football League. I feel heartbroken.

People who know me well are sometimes surprised to hear a musician hail a football player as his role model. For me, looking up to Favre is a no-brainer. Like all of history's greatest performers, Brett Favre could improvise under duress with gusto and skill, and he never lost his composure as a leader and a player, no matter how great the adversity or how many mistakes he had made the play before.

The very paragon of passion and dedication, Brett Favre showed me that joy alone can sustain brilliance and that it's never too late to shine. He is the greatest athlete of our generation and I will miss him dearly.

No comments: