Monday, November 9, 2009

Election Reflection

In the interest of getting organized I've been thumbing through the approximately thousand unread that have accumulated over the past year. I read the ones that interest me, delete the ones that don't, and respond where a response is long overdue.

A whole bundle of the emails are from the Obama campaign, which I donated a small chunk of change to once or twice and volunteered for on the final day of the election cycle, November 3rd of last year. For those of you who don't know my political leanings, they are simply that I am a moderate independent with no strings attached. In 2008 I saw two men I liked well enough to lead the free world and I picked the one I thought was best-equipped and most capable of effecting real, positive change in our country and abroad.

As I systematically wade through the sea of emails from Obama, Biden, and all the King's horses and all the King's men, I find a few worth reading, if only to help mark a moment in history or for value of reminiscence. I just spent the past 20 minutes filling out an Organizing for America survey sent two weeks after Election Day to ask for reflections on my involvement as a volunteer for the campaign (and, likely, to farm my name out for various volunteer "opportunities" in which I have little interest).

At the end of the survey I clicked "send" and got sent to a wonderful "This webpage is not available" page. I guess The Greatest Internet Campaign in the History of the Universe isn't much for technological upkeep. (Who fills these things out a year later, anyway? Don't answer that.)

Since I took the time to fill out the answers on the "short essay" section at the end of the survey, I thought I'd share my responses here.

OPTIONAL: What first inspired you to join this campaign?:

I didn't want to find myself standing idly by on the sidelines during such an important moment in history, so I opted to volunteer at the 11th hour, begging to be given the most valuable responsibility I could. Taking the day off work to canvass in Nevada seemed like the best sacrifice I could make so that's where I spent November 3rd, 2008.

OPTIONAL: What was the best part of your volunteer experience?:

I really loved the experience of driving several hours and giving my day and myself to a cause--interacting with other people from all walks of life, young and old, and being a part of something important, even for such a short time and at the last minute. I found myself a little sad I had not done so before.

OPTIONAL: What could have been improved about your volunteer experience?:

I walked into my local field office two or three days before election day and found the (admittedly busy) staff fairly unenthusiastic about and unresponsive to my earnest desire to volunteer. That was a real disappointment (though it didn't deter me) that I wish could have been avoided.

OPTIONAL: What was your greatest achievement as a volunteer? What was your greatest challenge?:

My greatest achievement as a volunteer was, I hope, perhaps adding votes to Obama's column by knocking on doors and being honest with real people about why I thought he was the best choice for president. The greatest challenge was braving the angry stares and reprimands of folks who didn't want me in their neighborhood, didn't want to be bothered and, most of all, did not want Obama to win.

OPTIONAL: Did you meet a fellow volunteer or field organizer who inspired you? How did they inspire you?:

To the contrary, my canvassing partner was highly inarticulate and seemed fairly ignorant about American politics or even Obama as a candidate. This was no deterrent, but I met a lot of well-meaning people who didn't exactly dazzle. I was very impressed, on the other hand, by the leadership at the Henderson, NV field office where I volunteered; they seemed like bright, passionate young folks who had worked themselves to the bone for the cause. I wish I had had the opportunity to interact with them.

No comments: